Faulty electrical wiring is extremely dangerous and if left unattended to, can lead to electrical shocks, electrical faults and in some cases, highly volatile electrical fires. This highlights just how important it is to keep on top of the condition of the electrical wiring in your home. Hence, below we have outlined a variety of signs to look out for that could indicate that it's time for a house rewire... take note!
Smell of burning
The smell of burning throughout your home is a very clear indication that something isn't right with your electrical wiring and is often a sign that your wires are shorting behind the walls.
Regular fuse blow-outs
Old fuses are not made to cope with modern appliances and if you've noticed that they continuously tip-out, it's highly likely that the fuses need to be upgraded with modern circuit breakers.
Sparks coming from the outlets
Seeing sparks coming from the outlets when plugging or unplugging an appliance is never a good sign. This is a sign of a large problem that needs to be checked out by an electrician as soon as possible.
Have you noticed the lights in your home dimming? If you have, it might be as a result of low voltage running through the electrical circuit. On the other hand, if you've noticed the lights throughout your home flickering or brightening, it might suggest that there is too much voltage running through the electrical circuit. Either way, it's recommended that an electrician attends and fixes the issue.
Lightbulbs burning out
If you have noticed that the lightbulbs in your home burn out in their sockets; it could suggest the voltage is fluctuating. This is another large problem that requires an electrician to check and it may be best to have a electrical rewire to prevent the possibility of a fire occurring in your home.
If you have noticed that the outlets/switches are discoloured, you should have an electrician check it out as soon as possible. Why? Charred outlets are caused by loose or faulty connections, which can sometimes spark out and create a small fire near the surface; something that can lead to much larger problems.
You should look out for these dangerous combinations; black nylon/rubber cable with no earth OR single cottoned sheath in metal conduit. If you notice these, your home needs electrical rewiring as soon as possible! Why? Because these combinations are 50+ Years old and do not comply with modern health and safety standards.
Looking for an electrician to rewire your home in Polegate, Eastbourne..?
If you think your home might require a rewire, get in touch with us here at CLIFF Electrical.
Whist the signs above are worth knowing, we can also carry out a full rewiring survey to identify the worst affected areas. To speak with our electricians, you can call us via our phone number on 01323 482503 or by sending us an email at, email@example.com. Finally you can use the contact form on our website.
We'll look forward to hearing from you soon.